KARACHI: The Royal couple, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle revealed a long-term pact with Netflix earlier this week. The content generated under the contract will include scripted and unscripted TV series, documentaries, feature films as well as kids’ programming. The two have been working around it for a while.
“Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have inspired millions of people all around the world with their authenticity, optimism and leadership,” said Ted Sarandos, co-CEO and chief content officer of Netflix, on Wednesday. “We’re incredibly proud they have chosen Netflix as their creative home — and are excited about telling stories with them that can help build resilience and increase understanding for audiences everywhere.”
“Our focus will be on creating content that informs but also gives hope,” the couple said in a statement. “As new parents, making inspirational family programming is also important to us.” According to NYTimes, They added that Netflix’s “unprecedented reach will help us share impactful content that unlocks action.” Their productions will be exclusive to Netflix, which has 193 million subscribers worldwide.
However, while Netflix is looking at the global appeal of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, the British aren’t too happy with it, according to a survey. According to The Hollywood Reporter, the interest is limited in at least Prince Harry’s homeland. The idea is a result of a recent poll by YouGov, an internet-based market research and data analytics firm. “Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan have announced that they have solidified their plans to make wide-ranging film and TV content for Netflix. How interested are you, if at all, in watching this?” it asked 2,713 adults in Britain.
20 per cent respondents said that they were “not very interested,” while 64 per cent noted that they were “not interested at all.” Only 12 per cent of them expressed interest in the content, according to YouGov. It said 3 per cent were “very interested,” with 9 per cent being “fairly interested.”