KARACHI: If you haven’t been living under a rock for the last couple of hours then you may have already heard of the latest episode of the The Daily Show. Why this is relevant to Pakistan is because South African comedian-TV host Trevor Noah dubbed Prime Minsiter-elect Imran Khan as Pakistan’s Donald Trump. Using footage from their interviews and speeches, Noah got funnier with each point.
“When Trump was doing Pizza Hut ads, Khan was in ads for Pepsi; Trump had three marriages in the tabloids, so did Khan; Trump thinks Islam is bad, Khan lives in Islam-a-bad,” remarked Noah, sending the studio audience into roars of laughter. He also compared their privileged past, political experience and their ways with the ladies. But all in good taste.
Here’s how Twitter reacted to this branding:
1. Obviously Khan’s fans were not happy
2. On the other hand, Khan’s non-admirers found this comparison quite funny
3. Some saw the comparison for what it really was: satire
4. While others dismissed it altogether
5. But most were just there for the entertainment, waiting for Twitter squabbles to erupt between supporters and non-supporters of Khan
All in all, it was a good day for Twitter!